Everyone in my office keeps bringing in all of these terribly unhealthy desserts lately – sugar loaded chocolate and cake galore! I wanted to bring in a healthier treat to show everyone it IS possible and hopefully to inspire others to try to create healthier recipes.
These paleo Almond Butter Cup Cookies have no added white sugar and generally really good ingredients. For the 1 cup of dark chocolate I recommend going with 90% dark chocolate as the higher the chocolate the less sugar and usually no dairy. I am bringing these to work tomorrow and I can’t wait to see how everyone likes them!
- 1 cup almond butter
- ½ cup coconut crystals
- 1 t vanilla extract
- ¼ t almond extract
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup blanched almond flour
- 2 T coconut flour
- ¼ t salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet with coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl combine the almond butter, coconut crystals, vanilla and almond extracts, and eggs.
- In another bowl combine the almond flour, coconut flour and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones.
- With golf ball-sized pieces of dough, form each cookie into the shape of a peanut butter cup. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden. Allow to cool and then chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- In a double boiler, gently melt the chocolate over low heat. Allow to cool for 15 minutes then pour over the tops of the cooled cookies. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes or until the chocolate is solid.