Spring is finally here and I am celebrating with salads every night! I add tons of protein and healthy fats to mine to make them filling enough for a meal. I used to be one of those people who wouldn’t be full after eating a salad, but then I learned what to add to fill me up. Plus I think it was partially just the principle of not eating tons of carbs that was throwing my body off. Now I crave tons of vegetables! Woo! Check out this amazing recipe I found on a great site I visit often for healthy recipes – damndelicious.net!
Caprese Avocado Salad
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless thin-sliced chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 6 ounces ovaline fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, chiffonade
- To make the balsamic reduction, add balsamic vinegar and brown sugar to a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a slight boil and reduce by half, about 6-8 minutes; set aside and let cool.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, to taste. Add to skillet and cook, flipping once, until cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side. Let cool before dicing into bite-size pieces.
- To assemble the salad, place romaine lettuce in a large bowl; top with chicken, mozzarella, tomatoes, avocado and basil. Pour balsamic reduction on top of the salad and gently toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.